Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fall, 1954

Postcard view of Citrus Avenue north from Badillo Street in Covina, California, in Fall, 1954. I can peg the date because both films on the Covina Theater's marquee are from 1954, and the later of the two - 'Down Three Dark Streets' - was released on Sep. 2. It might be as late as early November, though, because of the snow in the mountains and the ladies wearing winter coats. It can't be after Thanksgiving, however, otherwise Citrus would be decked out in its Christmas decorations!

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great postcard view. I've included it on a page about San Gabriel Valley Theatres: https://sites.google.com/site/lamoviepalaces/sgvalley#TOC-Covina-Theatre

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle, dad's brother, and his family lived in Covina during this time. We lived in Lakewood and once a month they'd drive down to our house and once a month we'd drive up Lakewood Blvd/Rosemead to I-10 to their house. I remember my cousin, who was older than my sister and me, taking us to see The King and I at the Covina theater. I was just 6 or 7 years old, but it felt grown up to be going somewhere without our parents.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not use the comment section to chat with others. Off-topic comments will be marked as spam and deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned.