This is the oldest-known photograph of Covina. It was taken in winter, 1894, when the town was only 9 years old. The view is to the northeast from Fourth Avenue (foreground) and the alley between Center and Dexter Streets. In the middle distance, Badillo Street passes from left to right just past the young orange groves.
Courtesy California State Library. Click on image for enlargement.
The photo is also noteworthy for depicting the very first house ever built in Covina.
The Samuel Allison residence (1885), at 160 West Badillo Street.
The image can be dated precisely because the school that we know was built in 1894 (at left, below) can be seen here currently under construction.
Historically-important buildings from l. to r.: the Covina Public School (1894), the Methodist Church (1888) on College Street, and the Episcopal Church (1893) at Badillo and Third.
What the school looked like upon completion: