Thursday, July 23, 2026

Ira Stanton and Kin

The other day, Dave Armbruster of the Covina Valley Historical Society asked if I could help with info about this photo. The caption read, "Ira Stanton Hauling Oranges," and Dave wondered what I could find out about the gentleman.


The Covina Heights Groves packing house was located on the SPRR line just east of the northeast corner of Front and First Streets.


I found lots, but three things stood out as noteworthy:

• First was that Ira Stanton came to Covina in 18991 and lived to be 102! Born 1876 and died in 1978.2 So although I can't be 100% certain, I feel reasonably confident in stating that James Ira Stanton was the last survivor of everyone who was of adult age in Covina in the 19th century.

• Ira's little brother, J. Minter Stanton (b.1879), got involved with city politics and became Covina's 7th mayor (1920-1922).

• Minter's only son, Elvin, grew up to be my pediatrician in Glendora!



Dr. Stanton's picture in the 1926 Cardinal and a note he scribbled for my mom 30 years later.


I never cease to be amazed at what I find just barely scratching the surface of Covina history. You don't even really have to dig for it—just brush away a little of the collected dust is all, and there's treasure to be found. It's easy, actually, and super enjoyable. I can't get enough of this stuff, myself!

References:

1 Los Angeles Times, December 3, 1899, p.29.
2 James Ira Stanton at FamilySearch.org.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To post a comment, you must login to this page with the Google Chrome web browser. That is the only way that works now.