The other day, Dave Armbruster of the Covina Valley Historical Society asked if I could help with info about this photo. The caption read, "Ira Stanton Hauling Oranges," and Dave wondered what I could find out about the gentleman.

Built in 1913, the Covina Heights Groves, Inc., packing house was located on the SPRR line just east of the northeast corner of Front and First Streets.
Ira Stanton's brother, Pliny (b.1877), was Manager,1 and also co-owner of the Stanton grove,2 so perhaps Pliny took this picture of his brother atop their wagon.
I discovered a lot about Ira and his kinfolk, but three things stood out as noteworthy:
• First was that Ira Stanton came to Covina in 18963 and he lived to be 102! Born 1876 and died in 1978.4 Extraordinary! So although I can't be 100% certain, I feel reasonably confident stating that James Ira Stanton was the last survivor of all the adults who lived in Covina in the 19th century.
• Ira's little brother, J. Minter Stanton (b.1879), got involved with city politics and became Covina's 7th mayor (1920-1922).3
• And finally, Minter's only son, Elvin (b.1908), grew up to be my pediatrician in Glendora!


Dr. Stanton's picture in the 1926 Cardinal, and a note for the vitamin "Zymacap" that he scribbled for my mom 30 years later.

I never cease to be amazed at what I find just barely scratching the surface of Covina history. You don't even really have to dig for it—just brush away a little of the collected dust is all, and there's treasure to be found. It's easy, actually, and super enjoyable. I can't get enough of this stuff, myself!

References:
1 Covina Argus, December 6, 1913, p.7.
2 Covina Argus, January 12, 1912, p.7.
3 Covina Argus-Citizen, July 20, 1951, p.3.
4 James Ira Stanton at FamilySearch.org.
All other birthdates likewise gleaned from FamilySearch.
No comments:
Post a Comment
To post a comment, you must login to this page with the Google Chrome web browser. That is the only way that works now.